[[ Check out my Wordpress blog Context/Earth for environmental and energy topics tied together in a semantic web framework ]]

Saturday, June 17, 2006

Fighting for your BUTTER TARTS

Perhaps not a hoax but the floating nuclear power purportedly slated for construction by Russia couldn't look more retro. From TOD:

According to Bruce McCall, "all meat looks like South America", and so I can't but notice that these minimalist plans look much like the retro stylings of Mr. McCall, a cartoonist for The New Yorker and before that, National Lampoon.

Phila remains a fan of the original cartoon work that I believe McCall derives much of his inspiration from.

2 Comments:

Professor Blogger Phila said...

I used to love his stuff in NL...I'd pore over it when I was a kid. He did an account of the Gulf of Tonkin in the style of a McKinley-era boy's magazine, which was one of the most brilliant things they ever published. ("See here, Chinky-Chinaman! Desist! Uncle Sam will not be trifled with!")

NL circa 1970 to 1976 was a huge influence on my sense of humor (now defunct).

12:23 PM  
Professor Blogger @whut said...

Defunkt?

No way, Phila, it is now called a sophisticated sense of humour.

8:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


"Like strange bulldogs sniffing each other's butts, you could sense wariness from both sides"