[[ Check out my Wordpress blog Context/Earth for environmental and energy topics tied together in a semantic web framework ]]

Wednesday, May 25, 2005

Mind Blowers

This blows my mind: Spot the Bulldozer. Nowadays, when I look at these contraptions, thoughts of a conduit connected to a gas tank the size of a swimming pool enter my head. How much fuel does this thing use? Somebody created this monster to mine for brown coal? If it actually uses the lignite as a self-sustaining fuel source, I can imagine the exhaust pipe.

And they likely use a fleet of these Caterpillar vehicles to transport the stuff away. When will Governor Arnold get one of these to replace his aging Hummer?

At some future point in time, instead of coming away impressed, society has to start frowning at marketing statements like this:
QE2 can sail backwards faster than most cruise ships can sail forwards and one gallon of fuel moves her 49.5 feet!


One last thing: And how exactly does this thing stay aloft?

I can tell you one thing, it sure doesn't get lift through blended winglets.

And to think I considered the London Eye impressive.

2 Comments:

Professor Blogger Big Gav said...

I'm not certain (as I didn't take the photos - someone at work sent them to me) but I believe the coal leaves that particular mine on a conveyor belt, which you can see in one of the pictures.

Those big dump trucks are pretty common in Oz though - lots of them in the iron ore mines and probably in the black coal mines as well...

12:19 AM  
Professor Anonymous Anonymous said...

http://mobjectivist.blogspot.com/2005/05

7:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


"Like strange bulldogs sniffing each other's butts, you could sense wariness from both sides"