[[ Check out my Wordpress blog Context/Earth for environmental and energy topics tied together in a semantic web framework ]]

Thursday, April 21, 2005

Pop Quiz on the Radio

If you listen long enough, radio call-in shows will eventually air a caller asking about Peak Oil out of the blue. Not surprisingly, it happened during a Noam Chomsky interview. Big Gav points out Chomsky's response includes the prediction that motivation to energy self-sufficiency may well turn out as the best outcome for a quick peak -- helping to thwart global warming may turn out as a long-term salvation.

It's pretty much well known that anyone can write in Chomsky style. You would not have to think twice, not even for a few seconds, how to write like this. The reason he gets away with it ... is because he usually gets it spot on.
Chomsky: For example, I was just in Europe for a couple of weeks, and they have the same traffic jams we do, but not SUV's. Their mileage for cars is way higher than ours. They have a public transportation system which we don't have.
Having also just traveled to one of the "Armpits of Europe" (guess which one?), I totally agree and can add that the two-stroke output of Vespas and such also helps to mask the underlying garbage stench.

Tomorrow Earth Day. Let's get on the bike and ride!


Professor Blogger Big Gav said...

Sounds like Greece to me (although personally I don't really class it as part of Europe - more a dysfunctional adjunct of the middle east).

I hope it wasn't Italy - apart from a few bits around the Termini in Rome I always found it free of rotting garbage...

4:50 AM  
Professor Anonymous Anonymous said...

A correction. Vespa scooters have four stroke engines.


9:02 AM  
Professor Blogger WHT said...


Why did I just know that I would get called on the Vespa? Dang it, vespa/smespa -- the gas vapors were barely combusting.

10:03 PM  
Professor Blogger WHT said...

Lots of the rest of Italy is clean. However, everyone (and I mean everyone) on the road has a death wish!

10:08 PM  
Professor Blogger Big Gav said...

Hey - driving in Italy is great fun - everywhere else I go people criticise my driving - but in Italy I was just a normal motorist...

12:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

"Like strange bulldogs sniffing each other's butts, you could sense wariness from both sides"