Alternate Energy Sources
Alternatives to Oil according to Richard Smalley
"Our Energy Challenge," Livability Summit, Phoenix, AZ; April 22, 2004 (PDF)
This happens to be pretty much the same talk I saw him give as a keynote elsewhere.
- Conservation / Efficiency -- not enough
- Hydroelectric -- not enough
- Biomass -- not enough
- Wind -- not enough
- Wave & Tide -- not enough
- Natural Gas -- sequestration?, cost?
- Clean Coal -- sequestration?, cost?
- Nuclear Fission -- radioactive waste?, terrorism?, cost?
- Nuclear Fusion -- too difficult?, cost?
- Geothermal HDR -- cost ? , enough?
- Solar terrestrial -- cost ?
- Solar power satellites -- cost ?
- Lunar Solar Power -- cost ?
Since Smalley is a professor he gives the following as Reading Assignments
- Out of Gas, Daniel Goodstein
- The Prize, Daniel Yergin
- Hubbert's Peak, Kenneth Deffeyes
- Matt Simmons, web site: http:/www.simmons-intl.com
- M. I. Hoffert et. al., Science, 2002, 298, 981
- The Hydrogen Economy, Jeremy Rifkin
- Twenty Hydrogen Myths, Amory Lovins (http://www.rmi.org)
- DOE BES Workshop Report on Hydrogen (http://www.sc.doe.gov/bes/hydrogen.pdf)
- 2003 State of the Future, (http://www.stateofthefuture.org)
5/26/2004: CORRECTIONS-Fixed typo and link